Remember these? The squares for the High Tea Crochet Fusion quilt?
Well, while watching TV yesterday evening, I looked at a few more ways to join crochet squares and decided on one – the single crochet join. I’ve done all the horizontal joins and am ready to start the vertical ones. It went pretty fast once I made a decision. Here is what it looks like now.
Here’s a closeup in case you can’t tell what I’ve done.
This pretty little quilt may very well be my first finish of the year although I’m nearing completion on another that I’ll post before and after pictures once it is finished. In the meantime………………………………..
They’re done! All three table runners are finally finished. Who knew when I started a Maple Leaf bed quilt in the 70s that I would end up with two throws and three table runners from those blocks so carefully hand pieced all those years ago. I did, however, learn a lesson from these blocks. I know without a doubt that I prewashed my fabric before using them as dark colors were notorious for bleeding into other fabrics. But one washing was not enough. When I washed the first throw to get the quilting marks out, the rust, burgundy, and red bled onto the white, and I used a Color Catcher just in case. It seems that Color Catchers don’t catch all dyes. Even after washing three more times, there is still errant color on the white background. Oh, well. Live and learn. And without further adieu, here are the long awaited table runners.
Now onto the next project.
The Quilting Makes the Quilt
I finished the two Maple Leaf throws. Yay!!!
Here’s the first one:
And some closeups:
And now for the second one:
And a closeup; hope you can see the variegated colors in the quilting:
I don’t know which is my favorite. I love them both. What do you think?
Now on to those three table runners………….
Sometime during my twenties way back in the 70s, I started a quilt using a simple Maple Leaf block pattern. I had read that museum quality quilts were hand pieced and hand quilted. So I was determined that I was going to make a museum quality quilt. Oh, did I mention that this was to be my first quilt ever.
Thirty-five to forty years later, I had hand sewn each and every piece together with a 9″ plain white muslin block between each Maple Leaf block giving it a checkerboard look. There were 99 blocks in all.
So now it’s time to quilt it. But…….there…….is a problem. What, pray tell, is the problem you might ask. Well, I simply do not like this quilt top. I guess I did when I started it, but it is boring. All the Maple leaves are turned the same direction. Somehow I got all the brown leaves together, all the red leaves together, all the yellow leaves together……Well, you get the picture. What was I thinking?!!
So today in about an hours time, I reduced my quilt top to this.
Yep, that’s all the blocks separated by colorways into eight stacks. Wish I had taken a picture before I took it apart. Oh, well. So now where do I go from here. Pinterest seems like a good place to start and did give me some inspiration for these blocks.
I am making two throws – one for my husband and one for me – that will adorn our recliners during the Fall season. Each throw will have 18 Maple Leaf blocks in it. Here is the layout.
Oh, did I mention that I already know how I will be quilting this one? I usually make the quilt top, put it on my longarm, and stare at it for a few days before I know how I want to quilt it. So this is a first for me. No, not taking a quilt top apart to remake it. I’ve done that before. It is the first time I know how it will be quilted before I get the top put together. I would show you a picture of the quilting, but the picture is copyrighted so can’t do that. So you will have to tune in here at a later date to see.
I recently took a FMQ class to help me get over my fear of FMQ. So I took it a step further and challenged myself to do a different FMQ design in every block of a little cheater cloth quilt I was using for practice. There are 30 blocks in all. I did FMQ on 28 1/2 of them. Just couldn’t keep my hands off my ruler. LOL
Keep in mind that these blocks are only 4 3/4″ square, and the FMQ is micro-quilted. Here are pictures of my favorites:
Hope you find some way to challenge yourself to do something that helps you stretch your abilities.
I spent my week in Centerview, Missouri, at Hunter Heirloom Quilting taking some classes. The first day, my hubby and I joined a few other people to learn how to maintain our Innova longarms. The class was taught by Joe Hunter. I already knew the first few items he covered but learned a lot after he got past those. Hope my hubby picked up on things I may have missed. That was the whole idea behind having him go with me.
The next day I took my first ever quilting class entitled “Taming the FMQ Fear, Part 1”. Since I got my longarm last May, I have done pantographs and ruler work mostly with a little free motion quilting (FMQ) thrown in. But the FMQ scared me because I was having trouble deciding where I needed to go next. Indecision can paralyze. I especially feared stippling. I still don’t care for stippling but found that there are alternatives that are much more fun to do. I not only overcame my fear, I began to improvise and create my own patterns. I especially like the rose pattern and one of the leaf patterns we learned.
While doing the rose pattern, there was a little hip swinging motion going on. LOL It was a lot of fun.
The last block that we quilted, we were encouraged to make up our own meandering pattern. I chose to mix the leaf pattern and the rose pattern. I was very pleased with the result and plan to use it on a future quilt.
Hope you also had a good week doing something you love to do.