- My weekly goal of three Quad Log Cabin blocks was met with 12 blocks completed. I now have a total of 138 blocks stored in that nice big white box waiting for the remaining 54 blocks to be completed. I’m almost ¾ done with these blocks. I sure will be glad when all 192 of them are done. Bet you will be too.
- I threw together a small quilt top that was to be hand-quilted with long stitches so that I would have something to work on while I was having Mohs surgery to remove a skin cancer. They use a local anesthetic for this type of surgery, and it is done in stages. They take a layer, test it while you wait in a comfortable waiting area, and then repeat as necessary. They tell you to bring something to help you pass the time. They got all of mine with the first layer so only had an hours wait so ended up finishing the quilting at home. Then I chose buttons to put in the centers of the blocks to represent flowers, put on a hanging sleeve, labeled it, and bound it. I’m very pleased with the result.
- Granddaughter Haylee has her great grandmother’s cedar chest which has a cushioned bench seat. When she first received this chest, she and I re-covered it with Oklahoma State University That wouldn’t do in her new house, so she went back to JoAnn’s Fabrics and purchased more of the fabric that we covered her pillows with so we could replace that orange fabric. Doesn’t it look great?!!
- I’ve also been doing a bit of organizing this month. I decided it would be easier to find thread and buttons if they were sorted by color. Took awhile, but they sure look pretty. Easier to find what I need? You betcha!
- My husband helped me make a pressing board out of an old ironing board that he attached a piece of plywood to. Then he and I stapled one layer of Warm ‘n Natural batting and canvas to it. See how nicely a fat quarter fits on it. I sure do like it.
- Finally got back to the Pumpkin placemats and finished three this month. Just 9 more to go, and I am almost finished quilting the next group of 4. If all goes just right, I should finish all of the placemats by the end of September.
- I learned to use the embroidery module on my Bernina while I made 5 labels to go on quilts. One went on the back of a quilt I gave to my dad for his birthday a couple of years back. Don’t know why I didn’t already have a label on it. The other 4 will go on family quilts to indicate which grandchild gets what. One of those has already been attached to my Granny Wilson’s quilt. I also made a pocket to attach to the back of the quilt to hold all of the history that goes along with it. This quilt was made by her quilting bee back in the mid-40s. Each of their names went into the hat for a drawing. My great grandmother won. It was passed to her oldest, my grandmother, and then to her oldest, my dad, and then to his oldest, me. It is going to my oldest child’s oldest. She is so excited that it will be hers one day.
- My husband and I also found time to go to some garage sales one day. We found a nice little drop-leaf table and four chairs that will go to another granddaughter, Rylee. She recently moved into her own apartment and does not have a dining table. She and her mother will paint the set and make them hers. Not a bad buy at $25.
I’m surprised at how much I got accomplished this month. I hope September proves to be as productive.