What a busy month!  And on top of cleaning and decorating the house for all the Christmas festivities, I decided to make house shoes for one of my granddaughters, her daughter, and her daughter’s dolly to give them for Christmas.  Found some sparkly turquoise fabric at Hobby Lobby that I knew they would love.  I used home décor fabric-backed vinyl for the soles.  They turned out great and were a hit especially with the 2-year-old.

IMG_7369

After completing the house shoes, I put buttons on the fly-away bells on the sleeves of a blouse I had bought.  The sleeves kept getting into everything so had to tame them a bit.

BEFORE:  IMG_7367

AFTER:  IMG_7368

And I made a tea towel for my mom.  There is a story behind it.  Of course there is, you say!  LOL  I had made a tea towel a couple of years ago that my mom wanted, but it was my favorite, and I couldn’t part with it.  And I didn’t have anymore of the fabric.  But as luck would have it, I bought a box of scraps at a garage sale; and, lo and behold, there was a piece of that fabric in there!  Woohoo!  So now my mom has a tea towel exactly like mine.  She’s a happy camper.

IMG_7371

For the past 6 months, my husband and I have been scouring thrift stores and garage sales looking for 11 x 14 frames to put my little sister’s artwork in that she was giving for Christmas gifts this year.  She told me she had 9 pieces to frame.  On Thanksgiving Day she told me she had 13.  Okay, we are 4 frames short!  So we went on a wild shopping spree searching for more frames.  In case you are wondering why we are looking for them instead of her, it’s because she has autism.  We help her out on such things when they prove too difficult or confusing to her.  Some of the frames needed replacement glass which we found at a local lumber hard for half the cost of everybody else, and several needed mats which were purchased one per week at Hobby Lobby using the weekly 40% off coupon.  Then we picked up her artwork, put everything together, and returned all to her so that she could wrap them.  I watched as our other two sisters opened theirs on Christmas Eve.  They went right to Kip and told her that these gifts are by far the best gift she had ever given them.  Our mom and dad received theirs a few days earlier and called me to let me know how much they liked them and how much they appreciated us helping her.  Thirteen gifts cost Kip only $34.21.  We won’t count the gas, wear and tear on my car, or our time.  LOL  Here is the picture Kip gave to us.

IMG_7378

Somehow during preparing for having 20 plus people over on Christmas Eve and going on wild shopping sprees, I found time to work on a quilt.  I had it more than half done by Christmas Eve and finished it a couple of days later.  This was a fun experimental quilt.  The plaids and stripes I used were cut from a number of men’s cotton shirts I purchased from the thrift store way back when I first started quilting.  I feel this purchase requires a little explanation.  When I first started quilting, I was extremely short of funds.  The thrift store would have $3 bag sales.  I could fit a lot of cotton garments into that big brown paper grocery bag which gave me lots of fabric to play with.  I’ve used pieces from this stash in a quilt for our grandson, a throw for a cousin whose wife passed away, and a doll quilt.  I still had an overflowing tub that I needed to do something with.  I certainly didn’t want to waste them so decided to cut all into 2 ½” strips and squares.  Took a good while to do that but mission accomplished.  Next step is to get all into warm quilts.

IMG_7365

Now back to the experimental part of the quilt.  I loaded the backing and the batting for the quilt onto my longarm and then pieced long 2 ½” wide strips.  As I finished a strip, I took it to the longarm and placed it horizontally across the frame and stitched it in place using my longarm.  Bonus was sewing the strips together and quilting the quilt all in one seam.  It really went quite fast and made a pretty nice quilt.  See for yourself.

IMG_7376

But, really, I need to get back to making quad Log Cabin blocks.  After all, I need 192 of these 4” blocks to make my quilt; and even though I started it in January, I only have 29 made.  So during the month of December I added 3 more to that total and have determined that I will make 3 per week during 2018 and will assemble the quilt top in 2019.  Oh, I almost hate to mention that there is a lot of appliqué on the border.  This is a long-term project mainly because, although I really do like this quilt pattern, I find these blocks quite tedious to work on and each one takes so long to make!  I figured out that in order to make one block, I actually make 5 blocks – 4 Log Cabins and 1 four-patch.  So I will spread it out over time – a long time – and will eventually get it finished.

IMG_7375

To top off the month, I whipped together a baby quilt top.  Started it at about 8:30 one evening, worked for a couple of hours, and got up the next morning and finished it.  And, yes, I used some of the plaid from those shirts I cut up and the leftover backing fabric from the other quilt I finished this month.

IMG_7373

I need another 1 ¼ yards for the backing which I will pick up at Walmart next week.  In the meantime, I’m waiting for the pantograph to come in that I am going to use for this one.  It’s called Yippee Ki Yay!  This quilt is destined to be the first one I finish in 2018.

Happy New Year!

Lana

 

Advertisements