I didn’t accomplish nearly what I wanted to in April.  Spring fever is my excuse.  I just couldn’t resist going outdoors on those beautiful sunny mid-70s days.  I just walked around checking out all the new leaves coming out on the trees and all the early flowers.  But on the rainy and/or overcast gloomy days, I did sew.

Thirty-six more Jacob’s Ladder blocks are now tucked neatly away with the previously completed ones.

IMG_7202

For those who are just tuning into my blog, I’m making 3 king-size Jacob’s Ladder quilts each of which require 72 blocks.  It will take 6 months on the schedule I’ve set to complete enough blocks for them.  I currently have a grand total of 144 blocks and only 72 to go.

I did find time to make my sister some fabric baskets as an apartment-warming gift.  She loves butterflies and purple, so these were perfect for her.  She is already dropping loose change into the smallest one.

Baskets

I also repaired a blouse for her.  It is black.  I hate working on black because it is so hard to see your stitches on it.  The hem had come out of one of the sleeves.  The original hem had two rows of stitching.  The fabric is slinky and stretchy.  So I knew I would not be able to put two rows of stitching back in that sleeve and make it look good.  So I removed the hem stitching in the other sleeve and hemmed both sleeves with a blind stitch.  Took me longer to remove the stitching from that other sleeve than it did to hem both of them because it is so blasted hard to see black stitching on black fabric.  Oh, I said that already.  LOL   I finally went outside in the sun so that I would have some brighter light.  Well, it’s done and looks decent.

I made my quota on the Jacob’s Ladder blocks with a week to spare so decided to put a quilt on the frame and get it quilted.  I completed the quilting in 2 days.  But this quilt top had problems.  It was completed by someone that I don’t know back in the mid-60s and given to one of her children on May 25, 1965.  I know this by some writing on one of the sashing pieces.  It was hand-pieced and then washed causing it to fray.  Some of the fabrics were loosely woven and frayed more than others causing some of the seams to open up.  There are also some holes in some of the pieces.  I knew that since I was quilting it using a pantograph that there would be some tucks and puckers here and there in the quilting.   I don’t like holes and frayed seams and tucks and puckers.  Now what am I going to do about it?

Then it hit me.  Appliques!  I’ll cover the flaws with flowers!!!  And I did it with my longarm.  It was so simple and so much fun to do.  I just cut the flower shapes and some roundish centers, stacked them on the quilted quilt where I wanted them and stitched away on the appliques not worrying about the raw edges.  They will fray with time and washings, but they will not come off since I put so many rows of stitching around the edges.  And I think they added a bit of whimsy to this vintage Bowtie quilt.

Then another problem arose before I could get the binding on the quilt.  We had hurricane force winds come through central Oklahoma which knocked down a lot of power poles which caused a power outage for almost the entire area, and, yes, we were one of them.  I couldn’t iron the binding, and I couldn’t sew the binding.  Or could I?

No power; no problem.  Out came the Singer 66 treadle machine my  granddaughter gave me for my birthday one year.  Did I know how to use it?  No, but I could figure it out.  I like to have worn myself plumb out winding the bobbin, but after a rest I managed to sew the ends of the binding together.  Not bad, but how do I press this binding to finish preparing it to go on the quilt?

I know.  My Little Wooden Iron!  I’ve had it for years but had never used it.  It worked like a charm.  Made a wonderful crease and didn’t take much longer than using an iron.

IMG_7215

Now for the sewing.

IMG_7217

I really got the hang of it.  But I do have to say that I was glad the power came back on before I was ready to sew the binding to the other side of the quilt because there were just too many pins which would require a lot of stops and starts.  The starts are the troublesome part as the machine sometimes wants to go backward instead of forward.  That makes a bit of a mess with the stitching.

Well, after all the challenges with this quilt, I’ve got plenty of memories, new skills, and a whimsical, bright and cheery new quilt.

IMG_7219

April may not have been one of my most productive months, but it certainly proved to be interesting.

Happy Crafting and Quilting,

Lana

Advertisements