Progress Report on My Quilt 40 Years in the Making
Since I had washed some of the blocks to test the markers, I had to wash the rest. Thirteen in all. I had decided to make three matching table runners since I have a side table, the dining table, and the kitchen island that also makes a table. The dining table runner will be one block longer than the other two.
Then I started auditioning green fabrics for the sashings and borders.
I pulled three fabrics I believed would work but had limited yardage of each. From left to right, a darker green solid, a green with tiny white dots that matches the leaf stems, and the mottled green. I felt the green with white dots was too busy and the mottled green has a tinge of blue to it, so I went with the solid darker green.
I quickly busied myself cutting 1 1/2″ strips with my wonderful slotted ruler. First time I’ve used it. Now I can’t figure out why I waited so long to get it. It is such a time saver. But I must be very careful to cut everything perfectly with no mistakes because I barely have enough of this fabric for all three runners.
I need a bunch of strips 7 1/2″ long and a whole bunch of 1 1/2″ squares. Done. I start sewing. Something is not working out right. Oops! I forgot to add the seam allowances on each end of the 7 1/2″ strips. They should have been 8″ long. So I cut a few strips 8″ long – just a few to make sure I’ve not done something else wrong, and I don’t have much of this green fabric left.
I start sewing again. Now what’s wrong…..I pull the picture off the wall that I’m using for a guide, draw a square around the leaf block, and find that my strips should have been 9 1/2″ long. I totally looked at the picture wrong. My first choice fabric is laying there in all the wrong size pieces, and there is no more. I grab all of that mess and toss it to the side to be dealt with later. Too frustrated to organize it and put it away right now.
Okay now. I grab my second choice fabric – the green mottled one – press it and start cutting. A few hours later, I have this:
One table runner all ready for quilting, a second table runner that I am now sewing the 9-patches together (they are on my ironing board and sewing machine table right now), and the longest one awaiting its turn on the planning wall. I need to cut some more 1/ 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ strips but am very well on my way to completing these.
And I know how I am going to quilt them. Yay!
Until next time, Happy Quilting!