I just looked at the date of my last post.  Oh my gosh!  It was December 9 – almost 4 months ago.  Where has the time gone?

I do have an excuse though.  During December Christmas preparations kept me busy since I was hosting a couple of dozen people.  Things went way better than usual.  LOL

Now for my excuse for the new year.   I decided to set myself a goal.  My goal is to make one quilt per month in 2016.  I also vowed to use fabric that I already have in my stash which includes yard goods, precuts, and two bushels of scraps.

For January’s quilt I chose a pattern that used 6″ squares which I immediately started cutting from any scrap large enough.  Then the squares were cut into two triangles and a 1 inch cream colored strip sewn between them.  After trimming down my blocks to the size needed, I laid them out on my bed to see if I liked what I saw.

Too busy.  Needs control.  What to do.  What to do.  I decided to narrow down the fifteen jillion colors in my array of blocks to just pinks and greens.  Now that’s better but still too busy for my taste.  What if I add 1 inch cream colored sashing?

Yep, that’s the ticket.  The cream colored strips gives the eye a place to rest.  So I start sewing sashing and blocks into rows and then rows together and then borders and ended up with a nice sized twin quilt top.

Now it’s time to quilt.  I chose a pantograph that I had used before, but I could tell when I advanced the quilt on the frame and quilted the next row that something was wrong.  The pattern was stitching out further on the right side than it had the row before.  But I kept telling myself that it would be okay.

Well, you guessed it.  It wasn’t okay.  I must have loaded the quilt crooked on the frame.  I ended up with a lot of fullness at the bottom that I knew I would not be able to quilt in.  So I started removing all that quilting I had taken two days to put in.  You know, of course, that what takes an hour to put in takes three hours to remove (or something like that).  Took me nearly two weeks to remove all the quilting.  But get it done, I did.

Now  well into February and still  not one completed quilt.  I can’t afford to mess up again.  So I made absolutely certain that everything was perfectly square this time.  Oh, yes, I did!  And since I hadn’t really cared for the quilting I did on it the first time, I decided to custom quilt it this time.  And I’m glad I did.  It turned out very nice.  What do you think?

Now about the question I posed in my title about whether goals are good or not.  It is good to have goals.  But I have let my goal of completing one quilt per month run my life.  That’s not good.  Perhaps my goal is too ambitious.  I learned that I may need to adjust my goals from time to time so that I can fit other things into my schedule like posting to my blog and making doll clothes.  After all, I did start a couple of patterns last year that still have not been completed.  I think I may need to change my goal to completing one project per month instead of one quilt per month.  Now that sounds much more realistic.  This I can do and will enjoy much more.

Happy Quilting,

Lana

 

 

Advertisements