I have been very busy the past three months or so doing embroidery work on three quilt blocks that have been include in my sister’s quilts which will be their Christmas presents. It all started with a quilt top that my mother gave me that her mother had made. It was one of her first quilt tops – an appliqued Sunbonnet Sue which had 11 Sunbonnet Sues and 2 Overall Bills. I was at a total loss as to do with this quilt top until I saw a Sunbonnet Sue wall hanging that had 4 Sunbonnet Sues in it and 5 25-patch blocks. I decided right then and there to divide the quilt top so that my 3 sisters and I would each have a part of Nanny’s quilt top.
It dawned on me very quickly being a math teacher that 13 is not evenly divisible by 4. And I wanted to use all of the blocks in these 4 smaller projects. And there was the problem of having the 2 Overall Bill’s. As luck would have it, the Overall Bill’s had matching Sunbonnet Sue’s, so those 4 blocks would go into one quilt. Now to divide the remaining 9 blocks into ones that looked good together.
I ended up with a pink and green; light blue, yellow and red; and medium blue, gold and deep red colorways. Now to find out which sister to give each of them to. So I polled them. I gave them a list of the colorways and asked them to choose their favorite. Luck was with me on this one as they each chose a different one. Can you believe that? LOL
Now, as you may recall, I needed 4 Sunbonnet Sue blocks to make each of these wall hangings and I only have 3 for each of them. So what to do. I decided to make an embroidered block to fill in. It was all hand embroidery which I don’t really enjoy doing so had to force myself to work on them. But after about 3 months the embroidery was complete. Yay!
Now the real fun begins – quilting the quilt. Most of the quilt is ruler work with a straight ruler for the cross hatching and various sizes of circle rulers. I felt somewhat like a contortionist quilting around those circles. The rest is FMQ. I have finished the quilting on 2 of them and am working on the hanging sleeves and binding. Here is a picture of one of the quilted embroidered blocks.